January 2019 update
Wednesday, 9th January 2019
HAPPY NEW YEAR AND LOOKING FORWARD TO THE CRICKET SEASON
Hopefully everybody had a nice Christmas and, on behalf of the club, a slightly belated Happy New Year to everyone.
As ever, once you get into January arrangements for the cricket season are really starting to move forwards, so hopefully this update will help keep everyone up to speed with developments at Woodhouse Grange.
Indoor nets start on Thursday 7th February at Archbishop Holgate's School. Junior nets will run from 6:30pm to 7:45pm, and senior nets from 7:45pm to 9:00pm.
The cost of indoor nets for all players is included in the annual membership fees.
Following the arrival of several new recruits who are eager to break into our 1st & 2nd XIs, we anticipate serious competition for places in our senior teams this season – all the more reason to attend as many practise sessions as possible!
James Finch (number 77, pictured) leads our 1st XI for a second year, striving for further success following a terrific 2018 in which the team won both white-ball competitions and finished in second place in the Yorkshire Premier League North. Key top order batsman Andrew Bilton is vice captain.
The second team leadership has a youthful look to it, with Alex Burton (captain) and Tom Stubley (vice) taking over from Tom Quinn and Richard Winterburn. The 2s will hope to be a competitive outfit in their first taste of division one following last season's unbeaten promotion-winning campaign.
The experienced duo of Marcus Smith and Steve Ainley will captain the 3rd and 4th teams respectively, with the thirds sampling life in a strong-looking Division 2 Ebor for the first time. No vice-captains have been nominated for the 3rd & 4th XIs at this stage, with the “senior professional” likely to deputise in the absence of Marcus or Steve.
Woodhouse Grange will play three friendly matches as part of a pre-season tour to South Yorkshire:
Saturday 13th April
- 1st XI away vs Barnsley
- 2nd XI away vs Elsecar 2s
Sunday 14th April
Many places have already been subscribed, however supporters are more than welcome for the social. Please contact James Finch or John Wilson for further information.
Arrangements are being made for a further 1st XI friendly on Saturday 20th April – watch this space.
EARLY SEASON FIXTURES
Saturday 27th April. Opening league games:
- 1st XI away at Sessay
- 2nd XI home v Heworth 1st XI
- 3rd XI away v Dunnington 2nd XI
- 4th XI home v Ovington 1st XI
Sunday 28th April:
- 1st XI home v Castleford - Royal London Cup, first round
- Academy side away against Yorkshire Gents at Escrick with a 11.30am start and plenty of food!!
CLUB OFFICIALS AND COMMITTEES
The executive committee was appointed at the AGM and that is made up of the following: Nick Hobson (President); John Stroughair (Chairman); Steve Burdett (Director of Cricket); Jon Tingle (Treasurer); John Wilson (Secretary); Tim Wood; Martin Smith; and Damian Matthews.
In addition the club has appointed the following officers:
- Commercial Manager: Emma Croft
- Child Welfare Officer: Michelle Burdett
- Catering: Jackie Ainley
- Bar: Russ Bilton
- Grants: Simon Baty
- Digital / IT: Marcus Smith
- Membership: Mike Burdett
- Fixtures: Kevin Smith
And in terms of committees the following have been appointed:
- Cricket Committee: chaired by Steve Burdett with James Finch, Damian Matthews, Tim Wood, Nick Hadfield and Mike Burdett as members.
- Commercial Committee: chaired by Emma Croft with both Steve Burdett, Tim Wood, James Finch, Martin Smith and Andy Cooper as members.
- Hospitality Committee: chaired by Damian Matthews with Jackie Ainley and Russ Bilton as members.
- Grounds Committee: chaired by Nick Hobson with Mike Suddaby, Kevin Smith and Mickey Stewart as members.
- Health and Safety Committee: chaired by John Wilson with Jackie Ainley, Mike Burdett and Mike Suddaby as members.